Cycling in paradise in the province of Girona, in a little piece of heaven called Banyoles. We’ve chosen Banyoles as it’s the serene and quiet retreat so many of us seek, as well as being the best start point to explore the surrounding roads, villages and climbs that the province of Girona has to offer. Can Campolier, a 17th Century estate, is our base for all nights, so you’re able to truly relax into your Spanish villa, making it home while you explore the quiet roads that surround the area on your bike.
Bia Escapes are all about quiet time, in different places, with friends, riding your bike exploring magical places. Let us capture your cycling imagination, and spoil you with great hospitality, service and exceptional riding.
Join a small group of like-minded people from all over the world as we tackle some of the best roads you’ll ever ride. Space is limited to 10 guests, so ensure you book your spot early.
If you’re concerned about training, don’t be. Once you’re confirmed, we’ll send you all the route details, what to expect as well as a personalised training program.
Wednesday 8 June 2022
Guests arrive throughout the day from various departure points, into Girona & Barcelona Airport.
Shuttles can be arranged through us; please advise flight details and we can assist.
The suggested flight is From BOURNEMOUTH into GIRONA direct. (See below)
We can put together a shuttle and share cost if most are on the same flight.
Guests arrive, unpack bikes – or check rental bike fit (measurements are sent prior to our arrival, so it’s just a matter of checking last minute details)
We have a mechanic on hand to ensure everyone is good to go.
Relax, prepare for the next couple of days.
Dinner as a group and briefing for the first day’s riding.
Riding Day 1 | Girona Loop
Thursday 9 June 2022
Day 1 is all about discovering Girona. More than half the pro peloton call Girona home, and it’s easy to see why! Beautiful roads, quiet climbs, and superb café stops – what’s not to love! We ease into the Escape with the perfect introductory ride to Girona through the quiet farm roads before tackling the world-famous Els Angels climb. After 6km of climbing – enjoy the 10km descent into Girona before a fantastic lunch at the famous La Fabrica Cafe. Wind through the town on the cobbled streets before heading for home in Banyoles.
88km. 1 330m
Riding Day 2 | Costa Brava: Coastal Loop
Friday 10 June 2022
A longer day out on the bike as you work your way to the seaside town of L’Escala. The road trends downwards on the way out over some fantastic rolling terrain. Enjoy a coffee stop at Rustik Cafe before turning for home.
Riding Day 3 | Girona Gravel
Saturday 11 June 2022
A fantastic mix of fast open gravel, forested sections, and some steady climbing. Enjoy views into the Pyrenees and over lake Banyoles on your introduction to Girona gravel. 52km. 615m
Riding Day 4 | The ‘Dirty’ Rocacorba
Sunday 12 June 2022
This trip wouldn’t be complete without a ride up the famous Rocacorba Climb – but this one is with a dirty twist. Climb above lake Banyoles on some steeper gravel – before heading for Rocacorba via the gravel side road. The first 1/3 is off-road before hitting the tarmac to the summit and the well-deserved view at the summit. 36km. 1 000m.
Sunday is still a riding day, so departure plans should be scheduled for later in the afternoon. Again, better to fly out of Girona – details above under ‘arrival day’ Suggestions are:
- Fly out of Girona Airport.
- Fly out of Barcelona. Airport shuttle (can be arranged) is ±1h30mins from Can Campolier.
Dating back to the 17th century, Can Campolier is an historic Catalonian treasure. The current buildings have been carefully restored in 2018 to provide luxurious accommodation within the ancient stone walls. Located 1,5 kilometres from Lake Banyoles and 2 kilometres from the base of Rocacorba, all rides will depart from our base here.
What to bring:
- 3 sets of kit (washing facilities available, but not necessarily able to wash every day)
- Shoes (road and gravel)
- Rain jacket (full sleeve)
- Arm warmers
- Spares (tubes, tyre levers, multitool etc)
- On-bike food (including bottles, gels, energy bars etc)
- Weather can be changeable, so bring both warm clothes and cooler options for the afternoons/evenings.
- Casual attire for the evenings.
- Swimming costume
What is included:
- 4 nights’ accommodation (based on twin sharing)
- 4 days riding
- 4 Days Bike Rental (2 days gravel, 2 days road)
- Breakfast (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Dinner (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday) Including drinks (limited)
- Lead ride for every stage
- Mechanical assistance (limited spares available at extra cost) at the villa
- Event Photographs at no cost
- Wash/laundry bag
What is not included:
- Café stops during riding days
- Insurances: Health, cancellation, travel
- Travel to Spain (incl transfers to Can Campolier)
- Travel from Spain to home (incl transfer rom Can Campolier)